Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

REPURPOSING AN UGLY CANVAS

I intended to get this post out several hours ago but....

My son was leaving to go back to his home
my husband went into work later
(because our son was home)
I sat down to edit blog pictures, when...
I got a call from a wonderful friend
had to hangup with her
to get ready for a lunch date
with another friend
(the last of my birthday lunches)
:(
only to get to the lunch date
24 hours early!!!!
came home
needed to send out an email
and
here I am
two hours later!
And I haven't even looked at
Pinterest yet!

It's been a wonderful day so far
and
I'm not complaining
just explaining.

Now, for the featured post I promised you last week.  Another Before & After!   Yeah!!!!  These are my favorite posts to write and share with you.  (Oh, I'd love to share my family  with you and I just got a wonderful picture of us all, but my family is very shy and asked that I never feature them on my blog, so....I won't, but I wish I could sometimes!)

I inherited a 48" x 48" canvas that was extremely ugly.  And I'll share that ugliness with you--I'm generous that way, I know.



Yeah, someone actually bought this at one time and hung it in a living room.  I just want to say, "IT WASN'T ME!"   BUT, being thrifty, I wanted to repurpose it and knew I could KILL IT!  Yes, I killed it.  And it wasn't a sad thing to do at all, it was...a breath of fresh air.  Here's the dead canvas...after the first shot...


(Yes, there were other casualties too--that hideous green shower curtain had to go too, but found new life as a drop cloth)  I thought one can of Kilz would do it.  WRONG!  It took two.  But, then, a nice white canvas!  Aaaaahhhhhh, bliss!

Then, the nerves hit and I left the canvas in a closet for several months, did some other smaller studies and finally found my nerve to do something ultra-simple and this is the result.


A Picasso, it is not.  But I am happy with it and that is something (I can be very critical of my own work).  It is calming and reminds me of the ocean and that is what I wanted in this space.

Here's the room with the picture hanging.



NEXT IDEA  Just wanted to let you know, I'm changing gears in this post so it doesn't seem like I'm rambling--which is exactly what I'm doing, but...

I was in a restroom, with my IPhone (shock, I know) and saw this darling little idea I wanted to show you too.  It would be so easily duplicated.

It is a square piece of white-washed beadboard on top of a plain white-washed piece of wood.  On top of that is a picture of the turtles with a piece of glass held on with small metal mirror clips.  It took a small picture and gave it a "big" look with scraps of wood.  Just had to share it with you!

Thanks for reading, or just looking at the pictures.  I enjoyed our time together again this week.  I try to post of Tuesdays, but all of my regulars know sometimes I don't.  I hope to get another signage post in next week with a darling phrase on it.  I'll keep you posted.


Robin




35 comments:

  1. I love the painting over sofa, such a beach feeling to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad you stopped by. Come again next week.

      Delete
  2. Such talent to be able to paint. I love the art over the sofa. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty, there was no talent just straight brush stokes with an old paint brush I used on the walls at one time, but thanks for the lovely compliment. You are always so kind.

      Delete
  3. Lovely painting and with such an abundance of ugly canvases to be had it seems only fitting they be repurposed! I found you through Home Stories A to Z link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hopping over from the party. I hope to see you again soon.

      Delete
  4. I loved loved loooooved the painting ! Very creative and calming BUT I also liked the previous painting that it was !!! Infact I love the grunge look with earth tones.
    Your new follower already.
    Naush from Dubai
    www.doodlebuddies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't expect anyone to like both of those paintings! What a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the follow too!

      Delete
  5. Very pretty Robin! You did a great job blending the colors. It looks so soothing and goes so nicely with your furnishings! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and the compliment, both are equally appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Wow! You did an amazing job! It looks perfect in your room! Thanks so much for sharing at The Scoop!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had time to stop by and liked what you saw. Come again soon.

      Delete
  7. Beachy and soothing!!!!! Pinning:)
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/07/vintage-swimwear.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your art redo. I'm inspired to try this on my large 'found in the trash' canvas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share your canvas redo with me when you get up the painting courage!

      Delete
  9. Your art redo turned out PERFECT! You're so talented! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your painting-so calming. It is perfect for that room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a calming painting! I love it! I'm glad you killed the old canvas. The new one is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calm is what I wanted in that room. Glad you think I accomplished it. I'm with you on this one being better than my inherited piece!

      Delete
  12. Your painting is gorgeous. Looks like an expensive piece you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is wonderful and I'm pinning from the Blitzed Pinterest Party.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what an amazing job! I love how you shared the ugliness with us. It was prettttty ugly ;) I’d love it if you could link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 4 blogs}
    http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/07/give-me-the-goods-party-no-17/
    Have a great week!
    Jamie @ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and the invitation. I stopped by and linked up!

      Delete
  15. Robin, you're very talented and funny too! Good combination. I love the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Robin I really love what you did with the canvas. Recreating a beautiful new work of art!
    I am drawn to any painting to do with the Sea!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Karen. I'm glad to you could tell I was doing a seascape!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a question about repainting a canvas. I've been wanting to paint a chevron design on a huge old canvas painting I'd found. The only problem is, when I primed the canvas I can still see the brush strokes of the prior panting. Is there anything you could recommend when this problem occurs? I don't can't throw it away! lol Any help or advice you could offer would be so grateful. XOXO LJ

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sorry, but I really don't know of anything that will hide the brush marks when repurposing a canvas. I don't know if gesso would work at all, and I do know they have some texturizing mediums that you might could use to smooth out an old canvas, but I haven't used any of them. I think the brush strokes of the old canvas add a wonderful texture and help tell the story of something reused. I almost bought another canvas and frame today that was quite large for $30, but did end up walking away because I wasn't sure the person I was thinking of painting something for would want it. Good luck and go for it—after all, what have you got to lose but some time and a little paint. Please send me a picture of your masterpiece when you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for answering me. I believe I'm going to do the chevron pattern in black and white on my canvas..I will take before and after photo's...Also, a great place for old canvases is, the Goodwill if you have one in your area. Have a blessed weekend..

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and appreciate the time you take to leave one.