Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

HAPPY OCTOBER

I know, I am a little late in wishing you a happy October when it is already the 14th but I've been traveling for the first part of the month and do not like the way my blog platform centers my pictures when I compose blog posts on my IPad.  Sooooo, that is why my greetings are a little off--that, and my kitchen is still not finished!  Supposedly it will be tomorrow, but I've been down this road so many times, I try not to get my hope up just yet.  I am learning patience in spades right now...well, maybe.

But, I don't want you to think I've forgotten my little blog, so in the spirit of the month of October, I thought I'd share some beautiful, spooky little critters I've gotten up-close-and-personal with lately.


Isn't this a beautiful spider?  Don't get me wrong, I'm terrified of them too, but this one was quite remarkable.  If anyone knows the name of this one, I'd love to know so I could learn more about it's habits--namely, if it will stay in the garden and not invite itself into my home and give me a heart attack!  Eeeekkk!


This little one was hanging out in my tree (again, I hope the spider doesn't seek shelter in my garage or inside the house).  You cannot tell from this picture, but it was spinning its web and I always find it fascinating to watch and see what pattern they will spin.  Remember, this is the October Robin talking here, most of the time these things freak me out! 



This itsy-bitsy spider was doing something with that leaf and working like a madman.  Look at those legs!

Okay, finished with the spider pictures.  But I didn't watermark these pictures and you're free to use them if you give me credit for being the photographer (although I do use that term loosely).  Might make a nice collage for the spooky season...just a thought.



This is an actual pinecone I spotted in Florida and the only editing to this picture was to take OUT some of the highlights because the pinecone was too bright!  The growth on the pinecone is lichen.

(lichen (/ˈlaɪkən/ or /ˈlɪtʃən/) is a composite organism that emerges from an algae or cyanobacteria (or both) living among filaments of a fungus in a mutually beneficial (symbiotic) relationship. The whole combined life form has properties that are very different than properties of its component parts  on the cone.) 

Just thought I'd throw in that definition for you, no charge!  I love the color of lichen.  It is usually this very pale sage-green.

And the last picture today is just a single gorgeous leaf--the epitome of autumn.  Enjoy.  Hopefully next week I'll have pictures of a finished kitchen BUT maybe not....

Thanks for reading.  Till next time...
 
Robin


2 comments:

  1. EEKKK...LOl! Perfect for the season. you were so right with your comment about babysitting the contractor! I had to be here every minute and caught soooo many errors before they turned into huge problems. I looked at your last post and saw that gorgeous kitchen cabinet! I know what you mean about trying to exercise patients, I kept telling myself, there are worse things, calm down, calm down...I have tried to be Zen lol

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole life we've called those "garden spiders" so I just Googled it and that's what it said. :) Here's the scientific name. Argiope aurantia

    They lay their eggs in a sack in the fall and then die. It's really neat in the summer when you walk towards their web they bounce to scare you away. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and appreciate the time you take to leave one.