Search This Blog

Monday, May 26, 2014

SUMMER BERRY PUDDING



Have you ever made a dessert that you almost expected would flop, but you just had to give it a try?  That was the case for me this past weekend.  I was having family over and someone had mentioned how much they loved strawberries.  Well HELLO, I love them too and I was on a quest for a new strawberry dessert when I found this recipe...

SUMMER BERRY PUDDING
  • 1 pound of fresh sliced strawberries
  • 1 pint of fresh blueberries
  • 1 pint of fresh raspberries
  • 1 pint of fresh blackberries
  • 1 cup of dried cherries
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of orange liqueur
  • 3 (3-oz.) package of soft ladyfingers 
Combine the first six ingredients in a saucepan and let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add water and cook over medium heat until berries just begin th break down and release their juices.  Remove from heat and cool 20 minutes.  Add orange liqueur.

Line a 2 quart dish with plastic wrap and spoon 1 cup of the berries into dish to cover the bottom.  Add a layer of the ladyfingers so that they fit snugly, repeat layers two more times.

Cover with loosely with plastic wrap and place a small plate on top with something heavy weighting the plate down.  Chill for at least 12 hours and invert onto a serving plate.  Serve with vanilla ice cream on the side.


I was so surprised it actually molded itself to my octagonal dish and then that it would actually hold together when I inverted it.  (Hence, the reason for the crappy pictures!  My husband was surprised too and snapped these with his IPhone.  This alone shocked me that HE thought this dessert was worth a picture!)  The other surprise was how glorious this simple dessert, with only 1/2 cup of sugar, tasted.  WOW, a guilt-free dessert that is rich in antioxidants too!  WAHOO!  Had to share this on the blog, for sure.  I do wish I'd styled the pictures a bit better, but...that's what happens when you don't think something's going to turn out!

Let me know if you try this and how it turns out for you.

Thanks for reading.  Till next time...
 
Robin 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and appreciate the time you take to leave one.