Search This Blog

Friday, May 09, 2014

27 INCHES OF RAIN

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I had to share what has happened on my beloved 30A in Florida's Walton County.  Last Wednesday this area in the Florida panhandle got 27 inches of rain in 24 hours.

This is the sight I first saw while walking the beach this week...


The water shredded the steel retaining wall and the swath the water cut through the sand on the beach was at least 50 feet wide. If you look through the devastation to this coastal home, you see a car lodged underneath the house.  The car was in a garage.  Here's the view from the front of the house...


The house next door was not unaffected either.  Here's their driveway...


Their foundation is iffy and their upper deck was ripped off.   

Here is a section of 30A that closed yesterday, 8 days after the storm, because of a sink hole...


Rain is expected again this weekend...  In Kansas we are suffering from a draught. In Florida they wish they could give us their rain.  

Not my usual blog post but one I had to share. The two states I love, both suffering mightily.

05.12.14 Update:  Kansas got rain this weekend!  AND, I have to say, the house featured in this post was the worst casualty of the Florida storm, as reported on the news stations there.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and appreciate the time you take to leave one.