Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Spring Quilt

For Spring this year, I decided to bring out a quilt made by my mother and display it on my piano.  I thought you might like to have a look--up close and personal.  Here it is...

Here it is displayed


This pattern is called "Dresden Plate" and requires a little skill to get all of the elements on the block.  Mom was a whiz with difficult patterns and always loved the challenge.  This was her first quilt in this pattern, but then she made two more--one for my sister and one for my daughter.

Now, if you are like me, you'd like to see the details of the quilt, so I did lay it out for you to see it in it's natural state--on a bed.



I did use the quilt as a bed covering for a while and had a blue toile bedskirt and pillow shams that I made to go with it.  That was quite a few years ago and I don't have any pictures of the room.


The quilting was hand-done by a group of Mennonite women.


I was into bows at the time and requested them in all of the corners.


A closer look at the fabrics used.

And, then, as a reward for reading this far, I wanted to share a picture of a painted piece of furniture I recently spotted and thought was reproducible for those of us that paint our existing pieces to update them.


The style of the piece reminded me of many older pieces I've seen and I thought it was totally charming.  I wish I taken a picture of the price tag for you.  It was in a furniture store in Lawrence, Kansas called Winfield's.  I love to go in and just browse their wonderful displays when I am in town.  I was there to watch a KU basketball game.  They won, of course!  Rock Chalk!

Thanks for reading.  Till next time...


Linking Up With

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that two tone painted piece too! Thanks for stopping by and checking mine out! - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors. My mother in law quilts. Such a beautiful skill to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is gorgeous. This is a difficult pattern; I can't believe she did three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! Did she hand quilt it? It is so wonderful to have such a strong family piece. Your mother did an amazing job. Thanks for sharing. I love the contrast of the paint and wood on the dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors in this quilt. What a beautiful job your mom did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunningly beautiful... Thank you for joining in 'Rurality Blog Hop #5' Hope to see you next Wednesday for #6...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hand work on the quilt is amazing and I think it is one of the most beautiful ones I have seen, love the scalloped edges the detail is so amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is very beautiful and a lovely keepsake. They did a great job on that dresser too. It is a great way to update and lighten when you have a piece in good shape.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and appreciate the time you take to leave one.