Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A PROMISE FULFILLED

If you've been reading this blog very long, you may remember a promise I made waaaay back in October of 2011!  You can check here to see it.   Wellllll.....I'm not one to forget a promise, but I am sometimes one to put off fulfilling that promise, until now.  So, with a red-hot conscience, I'd like to show you a quilt that my dear, sweet mother made for me almost 40 years ago.

Here's a picture of the bedroom, as it usually wears the quilt.


Most quilt lovers will crucify me for displaying this gorgeous quilt this way, BUT I like neutral interiors without much visual clutter and this still lets me enjoy the quilt daily.  NOW, for my readers, I'll show the wonderful hand-worked top.


Remember, most of my closest friends have never seen this quilt in it's full glory, so this is a special day!  The birds are all hand-embroidered on antique drapery-weight satin and bordered with chocolate velveteen.  I don't remember exactly how long this project took my Mother, but we was always lightening-fast with her extremely accurate sewing, knitting, crocheting, etc. skills.  I really have it in my head that she had this done easily within a month's time.  Let me show you some close-ups of her labor.

 











This is the backside of the quilt.  I think is also extraordinary.  It is machine-quilted and was done by someone other than my Mother.  Nice and simple for me today.

Yes, she was an amazing woman.  No, I did not get her gift for accuracy or quickness but it is because of her that I appreciate fabrics, textures and design.  She is my inspiration for my passions in life.  Thanks Mom. 

Well, nice to have that promise fulfilled to my readers.  I have a few more quilts to show you sometime.....                                 Thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is so beautiful. I love the bird motif too. Very clever and not too frilly. You are very blessed to have such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. Lovin' the flamingo most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a blue-ribbon bird quilt! My mother sewed, too - in fact, she worked in the Garment District back in the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Evening Robin, What a talented woman, this quilt is beautiful. There is so much detail in the hand embroidered birds. I love quilts, but if anyone criticizes you for showing the reverse of the quilt....this is your reply..."It is because I want to preserve the beautiful colour of the birds, if the correct side of the quilt is shown, the sun will fade the colours!"
    Have a lovely evening.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a wonderful response and a lovely comment.

      Delete
  5. Stitched with love! Such a beautiful quilt and I can't even begin to imagine how much work went into it.

    I remember watching my mum knitting, crocheting and embroidering and thinking, "ugh, it's so old fashioned". Now I would give my right arm to have just a little piece of her creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to reply to you via email and couldn't, so I definitely wanted to reply on the blog and hope you see it. Thank you so very much for you kind comment and I am so very sorry you do not have a piece of your mother's work. My suggestion would be to shop an estate sale or vintage shop and buy something similar to what you mother did. Think of her each time you see it and feel her love.

      Delete

I love comments and appreciate the time you take to leave one.