Here are the eggs, straight from the storage bins of many years--
And here it is completely covered
Now the only other thing I did was forget that I did not have any brown shoe polish, so I went to my craft stash and found some Americana Gel Stain in walnut and rubbed it on with a paper towel. The wine bottle I had seen done this way (in the distant past) used brown shoe polish, but use whatever you have is my motto. Voila! My little crackled egg.
For the next egg I did, I cut the pieces of tape and I think the end result is a negligible difference. Neither process took any longer, so how you do it is up to you. I will Mod Podge them both (mine was dried up beyond belief) before putting them away.
Before I show you the final result, I did the third egg completely differently than the other two