Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

A Sea Fan At Long Last

While setting up for our annual garage sale last month, I was totally charmed by what sis's neighbor was contributioning to the sale.  So overwhelmed, you might say, that I passed up a couple of great mirrors that I later found for $130 each retail!  Dumb, dumb, dumb, duh!  Here's a similar version of what I DIDN'T buy.  They were $5 each at the sale.  No wonder they went very quickly.


Although I would have changed the finish on them, it was one of those that got away because I hesitated.  Oh well, here's what didn't get away.


Now, for those of you who know me, you're thinking WHAT..........!  Well, I bought this picture for the mat--it is natural linen!  I LOVE that.  I wasn't at all sure what I would do with it, but decided to dismantle this custom, decorator piece and set about recreating something neutral for my abode.  When I opened the piece, it was interesting to note that those red and green mats were hand-painted.  The picture was backed with a beautiful blue mounting board and there was a certificate naming the picture and who commissioned it.  I think it was a print, for sure, but the certificate probably made the person buying it pay a little more for it.  Interesting!


Here is that beautiful blue mounting board and the fabric I am about to recover it with.  I saved the picture in the frame by putting it on the back of this board, only to ruin it later, but I really don't think it is a great loss with a print.  You'll see that in a moment, hang on.



This is the print on top of the mounting board, see the hand-painted mats.  Have you ever seen anything like this?  (A good idea to keep in mind when you're trying to upcycle something.)  I wrapped the board with my fabric and taped everything down with packaging tape.  In hindsight, I wish I had used a mounting spray that I discovered today while doing another project that will hang with this one.  It is Elmer's (like the glue) mounting spray and it can be permanent or temporary, depending on how much time passes between the spraying of the object to be mounted and the actual mounting moment.  Very cool stuff, but back to this project....

Here is what the wrapping looked like from the underside.  Interesting to note, that someone asked me today how I did this and I couldn't remember....I did just have another birthday....

 Here's the first part of the redone frame, mat and canvas.  I loved this part so much I was ready to just hang the blank canvas.......until a visit to Pottery Barn in Kansas City yielded something I have wanted for a loooong time--a sea fan.  Pottery Barn was selling them as place mats, but I knew one was going home with me and it was going in my "new" frame.  Here it is finished.  I mounted it with upholstery tacks and then went right through the print, I'm pretty sure, but I was so happy with the result, I didn't care.  Total cost for this project $26.


Sorry for the terrible angle of this shot and the lighting is horrible, but I couldn't wait to show you.  What do you think?  I'd love your feedback.

I spent my afternoon working on four more pictures that will accompany this picture and will post about them soon. 

As always, thanks for stopping by and reading about my hobbies.  I am grateful to be able to share them and I love the writing process--even though it may not always read that way.  Robin

I'm linking to http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and appreciate the time you take to leave one.